The Insight: AS5216:2021 has arrived! What to expect within the new Australian Standard
Australian Standard for the design of post-installed and cast-in fastenings in concrete, AS5216:2021 has been updated. AS5216:2021 now includes the following additions:
- Design of fastenings under seismic actions
- Design of post-installed reinforcing bar connections
- Design of redundant non-structural fasteners
- Design of anchor channel loaded in shear in the longitudinal direction.
The updated standard now covers areas of design in construction that were previously confusing for industry and relied on the use and adoption of international guidelines and standards. With the release of AS5216:2021 seismic fastener design is just one of the key design elements that now has clarity for both prequalification and design.
The National Construction Code (NCC) is Australia’s primary set of technical design and construction provisions for buildings. The NCC is produced and maintained by the Australian Building Codes Board (ABCB) on behalf of the Australian Government and all States and Territory governments. Please note that Australian Standards are voluntary documents and are only recommendations. Standards become mandatory (law) only if they are referenced in the NCC and/or other contractual documentation.
The current edition of the National Construction Code (NCC 2019) references AS5216:2018 which meets the deemed-to-satisfy requirements of the NCC.
An updated version of the National Construction Code is due for release late in the first half of 2022. NCC 2022 will come into effect in Australia from 1st September 2022. The ABCB (Australian Building Codes Board), which publishes the NCC has approved AS5216:2021 and it is expected that AS5216:2021 will become a primary reference in the NCC 2022 thus superseding all reference to AS5216:2018.
ICCONS has developed a road map offering innovative fastening solutions and professional support for the construction industry which includes:
- Code Compliant solutions for safety-critical fastenings
- AS 5216:2021 prequalified fastening systems such as seismic approved fasteners, AS5216 approved adhesives for rebar connections as well as fixing solutions for RNSS (redundant non-structural systems).
- Innovative design software complying with AS5216:2021 (COMING SOON!)
- On-site support program
- On-site product testing and training
- Extensive distribution network throughout Australia, New Zealand and Thailand
As always, follow us on our socials below to stay in touch with other relevant updates!